lemon, halved crosswise
roasting chickens, rinsed and patted dry
celery, cut in half crosswise
salt & freshly ground black pepper
dry white wine, plus more if needed
- Preheat oven to 375° .
- Finely chop the leaves of one sprig rosemary and one clove garlic.
- In a small bowl, combine mustard, chopped rosemary, and chopped garlic; set aside.
- Rub each chicken inside and out with half a lemon. Place a lemon half in each cavity.
- Add to the cavity of each chicken a stalk of celery, two onion quarters, a sprig of rosemary, and a clove of garlic.
- Rub chickens all over with mustard mixture, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place on a rack in a large roasting pan.
- Sprinkle all over with wine. Pour remaining wine into roasting pan.
- Bake, basting about every 15 minutes, until juices run clear, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours.
- Add water or wine as additional basting juices are needed.
- Remove from oven, transfer chickens to a platter, and let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove rack from roasting pan and place pan on top of stove over medium heat.
- Cook until liquid is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Pour reduced liquid over chickens, or serve on the side.