- Pre heat oven to 200 degrees celcius.
- Grease 2 pie plates with a volume of 1 litre each.
- TO MAKE THE BASE.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the egg and mix.
- Sift the flour baking powder and salt together.
- Mix the flour mixture with the egg mixture, using a 'cutting' motion with a firm spatula or spoon.
- If the mixture seems dry, use your hands to press it all together, but do not over handle - do not add any liquid! The mixture will come together!
- Break off pieces and use your fingers to press the dough into the base and sides of the pans to form the crust.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until the sides start to brown lightly and remove from oven.
- TO MAKE THE FILLING.
- Heat the 1 litre of milk and butter to boiling point.
- Separate 2 of the eggs keeping the egg whites apart.Whisk the egg whites until sof peaks form.
- Mix the 125ml extra milk, 1 whole egg, 2 egg yolks, sugar, flour,cornflour and salt to a paste.
- Gradually add a little of the boiled milk to this mixture.
- Then add this mixture to the rest of the boiled milk and beat with a whisk to prevent lumps from forming.
- Bring this mixture to the boil stirring all the time until it thickens.
- Add vanilla essence and stir through.
- Fold the whisked egg whites into the hot custard.
- Pour this filling into the baked bases and sprinkle cinnamon over the top.
- Allow milktart to cool down completely until mixture is set.
- Note1: To make the custard in the microwave heat the milk for about 8 minutes (in a 900w oven).
- Once the egg mixture has been added return to the microwave for about 6 minutes, stirring after each minute to prevent lumps forming and continue as per instructions.
- Note2: If you are using extra large eggs increase the amount of cornflour, otherwise the 'custard' will be less firm, but still delicious!