1 5/8 kg
chicken, skinned, excess fat removed and cut into pieces, giblets reserved
( 3 1/2 lb)
coriander seed, freshly ground
black pepper, ground
onions, thinly sliced
( 6 oz)
6 -10 cloves
garlic, whole (to taste)
250 ml mavrothaphne (8 fl oz) or 250 ml
( 8 fl oz)
lemon, juice and zest of, finely grated
flat leaf parsley, finely grated
- Arrange the chicken pieces and giblets in a heavy roasting dish.
- Sprinkle with the spices and salt and massage into the flesh.
- Distribute the onions, garlic, bay leaves and figs over and between the chicken pieces, pour in the wine and cover.
- Cook in an oven preheated to 180 C/350 F/Gas 4 for about 50 minutes, until the chicken is barely tender.
- Stir in the lemon zest and juice and return to the oven until almost falling from the bones - another 10-I5 minutes.
- If there is an excess of liquid, leave off the cover for this part of the cooking.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve with saffron