dried porcini mushrooms
risotto rice, cooked
( arborio rice)
eggs, lightly beaten
Fontina cheese, cut into 12 strips
( or Gouda or mozzarella cheese)
vegetable oil, for frying
- In a small bowl, mix the porcini mushrooms and hot water. Let stand until the mushrooms soften, about 30 minutes. Drain the mushrooms, reserving the soaking liquid. Chop the mushrooms and place in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Add the soaking liquid . To make the suppli, line a baking sheet with wax paper. Place the bread crumbs in a shallow dish. Drop 1 tbls. of of the risotto mixture on the bread crumbs. Place 1 cheese strip and 1 teaspoons of the porcini mixture in the center of the risotto mound. Top with 1 tbls. of the risotto mixture.
- Using your hands, gently form the risotto, cheese and porcini into a cylinder. Roll in the bread crumbs to coat. Move to the baking sheet. Repeat to make 12 suppli.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 250*F.
- In a large saucepan, add oil to a depth of 2 inches. Heat to 350*F. Working in batches, fry the suppli, turning occsionally, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Move to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while cooking the remaining suppli.
- To serve, transfer to individual plates. Enjoy!