medium grain rice
( Nishiki or Calrose brand, use the measuring cup in your rice cooker)
( or water to the 3 mark on the rice cooker)
seasoned rice vinegar
( more or less, to taste)
- Put rice and water into rice cooker (put rice in first, then add water until the 3 mark on the cooker is reached). Push button to start cooking. When done, button will pop up and light change to "warm.".
- Let the rice sit in the cooker without opening the lid for about 15 minutes to complete steaming.
- Put rice into non-reactive bowl (glass, stainless steel, wood, etc -- ), pour sushi vinegar over rice and toss gently with rice paddle to mix vinegar into rice. Note: please be gentle so you do not mash the grains of rice. Also, each grain should have been coated with the vinegar and achieve a shinny sheen, add more as needed).
- Fan the rice to cool as you are mixing in the vinegar.
- Use in rolls, sushi or to accompany sashimi.