thick slab bacon, cut into large dice
pork shoulder, cut into 1 inch cubes
onion, thinly sliced
light german beer
( or more, to cover)
garlic sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
cabbage, sliced thinly
granny smith apples, peeled seeded and sliced 1/4 inch thick
waxy potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
( like Yukon Golds)
salt and pepper
- In a large ovenproof casserole, heat the oil, brown the bacon and pork, remove from the pan, and set aside.
- Add the onions and saute over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the browned meat, beer, and enough chicken stock to cover.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the sausage, cabbage, apples, potatoes, and caraway seeds and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook in the oven until meat is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread.