dried porcini mushrooms
5 1/2 cups
( or chicken stock)
onions, quartered lengthwise, sliced crosswise
baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
( baby bella mushrooms)
3 1/2 ounces
shiitake mushrooms, sliced
oyster mushrooms, sliced
( or other mushrooms)
( or medium grain rice)
dry white wine
fresh sage, finely chopped
( or 1 tsp. dried)
1 1/2 cups
fresh sage leaf
- In a small bowl, mix the porcini mushrooms and hot water. Soak for 30 minutes to soften. Drain the mushrooms, reserving the soaking liquid. Chop the mushrooms,.
- In a small saucepan over high heat, bring the stock to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and keep the liquid hot.
- In a heavy medium saucepan over medium high heat, melt the butter with the olive oil and saute the onions, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Add the remaining 1 tbls. butter to pan. Add baby bella mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, and oyster mushrooms to pan and cook about 10 more minutes.
- Add the rice and mushrooms(including the chopped porcini mushrooms) to the onions and stir about 1 minute. Add the wine and stir until it is absorbed, about 2 minutes. Add the chopped sage, the reserved mushroom soaking liquid and 3/4 cup of the stock. Adjust the heat to simmer, so that liquid bubbles and is absorbed slowly. Stir until liquid is absorbed.
- Continue cooking, adding the liquid 3/4 cup at a time and stirring almost constantly, until the rice starts to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Continue cooking, adding liquid 1/2 cup at a time and stirring almost constantly, until rice is just tender but slightly firm in the center and the mixture is creamy, about 10 more minutes.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to mix well.
- To serve, spoon risotto into a shallow serving bowl.
- Garnish with sage leaves and enjoy!