2 (14.17 g) package
shredded mozzarella cheese
grated parmesan cheese
- Spray 13*9 baking pan with no stick spray (other pans work as well - I used a large round baking stone with great success).
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan (or in the microwave); stir in rolled oats and butter.
- Cool to about 100 degrees (I got impatient and added a couple of ice cubes to cool it down quicker).
- Combine sugar, salt, yeast and 1 1/2 cups of the flour in a large mixing bowl, blend well.
- Add rolled oats mixture and egg. Blend at a low speed with an electric mixer till moistened, beat 3 minutes at medium speed.
- By hand, stir in 1 3/4 cup to 2 1/2 cups flour and the mozzarella cheese to form a stiff dough.
- (*I just put everything in my standing mixer bowl and mixed it with the dough hook.).
- If kneading by hand, knead in 1/2-3/4 cup flour on a floured surface till dough is smooth and elastic.
- (Depending on your flour, humidity in your home, etc., you may need more or less flour - you want a smooth, elastic dough that is not too sticky.).
- Shape dough into a ball and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Punch down dough and press into prepared pan. Using a very sharp knife, cut diagonal lines 1 1/2 inches apart, cutting completely through the dough (I didn't cut all the way through and it pulled apart just fine).
- Repeat in opposite direction, creating a diamond pattern.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place till light and doubled in size (about 45 minutes - less if you use rapid rise yeast).
- Heat oven to 375. Uncover dough, redefine diamond pattern if you like.
- Combine parmesan cheese, basil, oregano and garlic powder and set aside.
- Spoon 2-4 T of butter across the dough.
- Bake 10-15 minutes.
- Brush remaining butter over partially baked bread.
- Sprinkle with parmesan/herb mixture. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, till golden brown.
- Serve warm or cool.