FOR THE CAKE
1 1/2 cups
chopped almonds, divided
1 (18 1/4 ounce) boxes
devil's food cake mix
1 (3 1/2 ounce) boxes
instant chocolate pudding mix
miniature semisweet chocolate chips
FOR THE GLAZE
2 -3 teaspoons
- Coat two (9x5x3 inch) loaf pans with shortening and dust with unsweetened cocoa powder, tapping out excess.
- Place 1 cup of the almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast in a preheated 350 degree oven for 7-8 minutes, stirring once or twice, until golden brown.
- FOR THE CAKE:
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, eggs, oil and vanilla and beat on medium speed with electric mixer for 4 minutes.
- Add mini chocolate chips and the 1 cup of toasted almonds and stir well.
- Pour batter into prepared pans; sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of untoasted almonds on the top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until cake tester inserted near center comes out clean.
- Place pans on wire racks and let cool for 15 minutes before turning cakes out to cool completely.
- FOR GLAZE:.
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and 2 teaspoons of milk, stirring until smooth.
- Add remaining teaspoons of milk if necessary to achieve desired consistency.
- Drizzle over cooled cakes.