extra virgin olive oil
white beans, rinsed and drained
marinated artichoke hearts, drained
( to taste)
head of garlic
Italian salad dressing
fresh ground black pepper
low-fat sour cream
- Preheat oven to 4000°F Cut about 1/4" from the top of the head of garlic so that the very top of each clove has been removed. Brush the entire head lightly with olive oil, wrap well in tin foil, and bake for 45 minutes or until the cloves are soft and the edges are brown and caramelized. Remove from oven, unwrap, and cool.This is very handy to do in the toaster oven. Use your fingers to squeeze the softened garlic out of each clove).
- In a heavy medium pan, heat two tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, shallot and rosemary, and sautee until the onion is well browned but not burnt; add drained artichokes and roasted garlic.
- In food processor, combine rinsed and drained beans, contents of the pan, and all other ingredients except sour cream.
- Add a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper. Puree until completely smooth. Add sour cream and puree until smooth; taste to adjust seasoning.
- Serve this spread with crackers.