( I like to use the hot, but mild or sweet works as well)
garlic cloves, minced
( depending on taste)
1 (28 ounce) cans
crushed red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
Pasta and Cheese
( I buy Frigo or similar brand in a ball shape, easier to work with)
( save half to top the pasta)
red pepper flakes
( if you like it hot!)
butter, for the dish
- To make the Sauce:.
- In a large pot, brown Italian sausage over medium high heat until cooked through. About 5 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium, add onion and garlic. Cook until opaque. About 3-4 minute.
- Combine tomatoes, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and salt/pepper with onion, garlic, meat mixture and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook covered for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Baked Ziti:.
- Cook pasta according to package, generally about 9-11 minutes for al dente.
- Halve the mozzarella. Cut half the portion into cubes, and the other half into thin slices (should look like discs, which will go on top of the pasta).
- Combine drained pasta with sauce, cubed mozzarella, 1/2 the parmesan cheese, and a pinch of red pepper.
- Place the combined pasta/sauce/cheese into a buttered 9x13 pan (I like to use my Le Crueset, presents better at the table).
- Top with remaining mozzarella slices and parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a 400°F oven for 45 minutes until the pasta is bubbly and the cheese is golden brown.