1 (4 lb)
( about 4 pounds)
low sodium soy sauce
2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans
low sodium beef broth
fresh ground black pepper
( optional, or use 3 tablespoon dehydrated onion flakes, slightly crushed)
1 -2 tablespoon
fresh minced garlic
( or use 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
( as much as needed to cover)
Italian rolls, sliced
( or use French rolls)
- Trim all visible fat from the roast then using a fork poke deep holes all over the meat.
- Place the beef roast in the crock pot.
- In a bowl combine the soy sauce, beef broth, black pepper, thyme, onion powder or onion flakes and fresh garlic or garlic powder; pour the mixture over the roast.
- Place the bay leaf into the crock pot.
- Add in enough water to almost cover the roast then mix to combine.
- Cover and cook on HIGH setting for 2 hours.
- Reduce the setting to LOW and continue to cook for about 5 hours more or until the meat is very tender.
- After cooking skim off the fat that has accumulated on the top.
- Remove the gravy and reserve.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- Shred the meat with a fork or slice thinly.
- Divide/pile the meat onto the rolls; serve as sandwiches, then serve the reserved broth for a dipping.