2 1/2 lbs
salt, to taste
fresh ground pepper, to taste
1 cup low sodium chicken broth or 1 cup
vegetable broth, for vegetarian style
- Carefully clean leeks; cut off the stemmy bottoms and the dark green leaves, so you end up with with white and light green parts only (dirt can get in between the leaves, so wash them out well).
- Cut leeks lengthwise in quarters, then into about 1-inch squares.
- Heat oil in heavy wide saucepan or saute pan; add leeks, salt, pepper, and stir over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to boil, cover and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring often, for about 10 to 15 minutes or until leeks are tender.
- Raise heat to medium, uncover and let juices reduce to about half.
- Be careful not to let burn.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, serve hot.
- Makes about 2-4 servings, depending on what you're using them for.