celery ribs, diced
garlic cloves, minced fine
potatoes, peeled and cubed
( I usually use red or yukon gold)
salt and pepper, to taste
sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
green onions, thinly sliced
- Place bacon in a large soup pot or dutch oven and cook until crisp. Drain off all but 1/4 cup of grease.
- Add celery, onion and garlic to bacon grease and cook until just softened. Be careful not to burn garlic. Add potatoes and toss in grease to coat.
- Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Place butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. When melted, whisk in flour. Brown mixture, stirring constantly, for approximately 2 minutes. Add heavy cream slowly, while whisking constantly. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and continue whisking until mixture thickens.
- Stir cream mixture into the potato mixture. Gently stir in cheddar cheese and reserved bacon. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with green onion and addtional cheese, if desired.