2 (10 ounce) bags
ready-to-use fresh spinach
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour and stir until light golden, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in onion, bay leaf and clove.
- Gradually whisk in milk.
- Whisk until mixture boils and thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes longer, whisking frequently (sauce will be very thick).
- Remove bay leaf and whole clove.
- Cook spinach in large pot of boiling water just until wilted and tender, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer spinach to bowl filled with ice water to cool.
- Drain well.
- Roll up spinach in kitchen towl and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Transfer spinach to processor and finely chop.
- Add spinach to warm sauce, simmer over low heat until spinach is heated through, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.