1 1/2 cups
black pepper, freshly ground
parmigiano-reggiano cheese, freshly grated
nutmeg, freshly grated
- Bring 4 1/2 quarts water to rolling boil, covered, in large stockpot or Dutch oven. Using ladle or heatproof measuring cup, fill each individual serving bowl with about 1/2 cup boiling water; set bowls aside to warm.
- While water comes to boil, bring 1 cup heavy cream and butter to simmer in 3- to 4-quart saucepan over medium heat; reduce heat to low and simmer gently until mixture reduces to 2/3 cup, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Off heat, stir in remaining 1/2 cup cream, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- Add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta to boiling water; cook pasta until just shy of al dente.
- Reserve 1/4 cup pasta cooking water, then drain pasta.
- Meanwhile, return cream mixture to simmer over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low and add pasta, Parmagiano, and nutmeg to cream mixture.
- Cook over low heat, tossing pasta with tongs to combine, until sauce coats pasta and pasta is just al dente and cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in reserved pasta cooking water; sauce may look rather thin but will gradually thicken as pasta is served and eaten.
- Working quickly, empty serving bowls of water; divide pasta among bowls, tossing pasta to coat well with sauce. Serve immediately.