2 1/2 lbs
Italian sausage, mixture of hot & sweet varieties
extra virgin olive oil
garlic cloves, 3 thinly sliced, 1 cracked from skin
red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch slices
green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch slices
onion, cut into 1/2 inch slices
tomato sauce, thinned out with 1/4 cup water
salt & pepper
chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place sausage on a baking sheet and liberally drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Approx 2 tablespoons
- Place in hot oven and roast until casings are crisp and juices run clear, somewhere between 15 and 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let sausages rest.
- While sausages roast, heat a skillet over medium heat with 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and sliced garlic.
- Simmer garlic in olive oil 2 to 3 minutes then add peppers and onions. Turn the heat up a notch and cook until the vegetables are tender but the peppers still hold strong color, 5-6 minutes.
- Add thinned tomato sauce, salt and pepper and reduce.
- turn heat back to low and hold the veggies until the sausage comes out of the oven.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley.