19 1/2 ounces
white cake mix
( Gel food coloring is best, Betty Crocker offers traditional colors as well as neon colors)
cream cheese frosting
- Mix the cake batter according to package directions.
- Evenly divide prepared batter into several different bowls. The amount of bowls will depend on the amount of colors you want for your cupcakes.
- Add a generous amount of gel food coloring to each bowl until you have a vibrant batter.
- I usually mix 7 bowls - red, orange, pink, yellow, green, blue, and purple.
- Line your muffin tin with paper cups and then begin spooning the colored batter into the cups.
- Add batter color by color, one tablespoon of red in each of the cups, then added a tablespoon of orange on top of the red, and so on until all colors were used. The colors will not "leak".
- Fill the cups approximately 2/3 full of batter.
- Bake as directed on the box.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely, and frost to your liking.
- I used whipped cream cheese frosting to give the cupcakes a "cloud" effect.