grated swiss cheese
bread, your choice
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
( Black or Cayenne)
- In a small omelet pan or other small nonstick skillet melt 1 T. butter.
- When butter is melted and just sizzling add 1/2 C Heavy Cream. Warm, but do not boil, cream. Crack eggs into a saucer, one at a time, and carefully slip both into pan. Sprinkle with Salt, Black and/or Cayenne Pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat a bit so eggs will cook slowly.
- Turn oven broiler to high. Set rack about 6" from broiler.
- Toast 2 slices of bread to your desired doneness then butter generously (should be done in a countertop toaster, not oven). Place 1 slice Swiss Cheese and 1 slice Ham on each piece of buttered toast.
- Place toast pieces (with ham and cheese slices, ham on top) under broiler and broil until ham begins to brown a bit and cheese melts around the edges -- you can't see the cheese very well since it is covered with the ham, but the edges should be visible.
- Turn broiler off, but leave toast in oven with door ajar until ready to use.
- Continue to cook eggs slowly until the whites are nearly firm. Sprinkle 2 T. grated Swiss Cheese on top of eggs and continue to cook until whites are firm, but not rubbery. The yolk should still be runny.
- To serve, place 1 egg over each piece of toast, and pour cream from the pan over the egg. The cream will have thickened into a nice sauce.
- Serve immediately.