dried split peas
garlic cloves, minced
1 (16 ounce) packages
frozen chopped spinach
1 1/2 cups
tomato, peeled and chopped
1 -2 teaspoon
fresh ground black pepper
hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- Wash the split peas.
- In a large pot combine the peas, sliced onion, carrot, garlic, bay leaf, and water. Bring to a boil.
- Add the spinach and cook over low heat for 1 1/2 hours, or until the peas are tender.
- Puree in a blender or use an immersion blender in the pot.
- Heat the oil in a skillet; saute the chopped onions until browned.
- Add the toamtoes, basil, parsley, salt, and pepper. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Serve with chopped eggs on top, if desired.