boneless skinless chicken thighs, about 1 1/2 pounds in total
1 1/2 cups
leeks, thinly sliced
( white and light green parts only)
white onion, finely diced
garlic cloves, minced
jalapeno, finely diced
corn, kernels removed
( see directions)
fat free chicken broth
1 1/2 cups white mushrooms or 1 1/2 cups
cremini mushrooms, sliced 1/4 inch thick
yellow squash, sliced 1/4 inch thick
salt & pepper, to taste
- Place a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Apply a light coating of cooking spray and add the leeks, onions, garlic, and jalepenos. Cook for two minutes.
- Cut the chicken thighs in half and add to the pot. Cook and stir for 2 minutes until the surface of the chicken is opaque.
- Add the corn kernels, paprika, cumin and chicken broth. Milk the corn cobs by scraping the back of a knife across the surface holding the cob over the pot so the liquid drips into the soup. Bring to a light boil and reduce to simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and stir in, cover and cook another 10 minutes.
- Add the yellow squash and stir in cover and cook another 10 minutes.
- Season the dish with salt and pepper to taste. The amounts will vary based on the type of broth used.
- Optional: The chicken should be tender enough to cut with a back of a spoon, but if you prefer you can remove the thighs and shred the chicken.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with cilantro (optional).