2 3/4 cups
1 1/2 cups
pure vanilla extract
2 -4 teaspoons
( not boiling)
- Measure the brown sugar, salt, baking soda, sour cream, shortening, eggs, and vanilla into a mixing bowl and cream together until it is thoroughly mixed. Using a flour sifter, measure the flour into the sifter according to the measurements called for above, and then sift the flour into the mixed wet ingredients. Mix in the mixer or with a hand held mixer for about 2 - 3 minutes, or until the dough is smooth. It should be a bit thicker than cake batter.
- Refrigerate 1 hour so that the dough sets up. (This will give you time to clean up a bit.).
- Once dough has set up a bit, drop it in spoon-fulls onto a greased cookie sheet, or a cookie sheet that uses pan liners. Don't put more than 12 on a cookie sheet. Try not to over cook them.
- BAKE: 375 Degrees.
- TIME: 10 minutes.
- *Bake, and once removed from the oven, let cook for about 10 minutes before you frost them. Once you have frosted them, you can eat them right away, or later. These are truly yummy!
- FROSTING DIRECTIONS:
- Make sure that the butter/margarine is soft before you start. Add all ingredients and mix for about 2 minutes until frosting is smooth. You may have to add more hot water by the teaspoon to get the frosting to the right consistency, or more powdered sugar. The frosting should be a thick glaze consistency. I usually double this recipe so that I have enough frosting. (My kids like more frosting!).