1 lb salt pork or 1 lb
1 1/2 cups
2/3 cup water or 2/3 cup
- Soak salt meat and split peas separately ovenight. (If using a ham bone, it does not need to be soaked.).
- Combine meat, peas, water and chopped onion in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; simmer 2-3 hours or until peas are soft.
- Remove meat; remove from bone and cut into pieces.
- Return to saucepan and add celery, potatoes and carrots.
- Simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are nearly tender.
- While soup simmers, mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in margarine; add water or milk to make a soft dough.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls into soup.
- Cover tightly and cook 15 minutes. If soup is too thick, thin with water.
- Reheat and serve.