Tomatoes, any colour
( mixed is nice)
10 -12 fresh mint leaves or 10 -12
fresh basil leaves
Sweet Vinegar Recipe
2 pints cider vinegar or 2 pints
distilled malt vinegar
- Lightly prick each tomato in several places with a cocktail stick (skip this step if you are using sliced tomatoes).Arrange in a sterilised jar with the mint or basil.
- Pour in the Sweet Vinegar, making sure it covers the tomatoes by at least 1in (2.5cm). (Vinegar should be boiling hot.)
- Poke the tomatoes with a wooden skewer to ensure there are no air pockets.
- Weight down the tomatoes then seal using safe canning method.The tomatoes will be ready to eat in 4 - 6 weeks,but improve with longer keeping.
- To make Sugar Free Vinegar:.
- Put the vinegar and fruit juice in the pan, bring to the boil and skim well.
- Make a spice bag with remaining ingredients,add to the boiling vinegar mixture and boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove the spice bag,pour over tomatoes.
- NOTE: You can make this vinegar mix in larger quantities and it will keep for 2 years and can be used for loads of other things if sealed in hot sterilised jars.
- Cook time is actually time to preserve.