1 1/4 teaspoons
cream of tartar
egg, for glaze
- Mix flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter with pastry cutter or 2 knives until mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Stir in raisins and sunflower seeds.
- Combine eggs and ginger.
- Add beaten eggs to the flour mixture, mixing well to form a soft dough, add a little milk if dough is too stiff.
- Lightly flour a work surface.
- Turn out dough and kneed until smooth.
- Roll dough out to approx 1/2in.
- Cut dough into 2in rounds.
- Place biscuits onto a greased cookie sheet and brush each one with an egg glaze (if using).
- Bake at 400F for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and well risen.