bacon, thinly sliced
yellow onions, thinly sliced
1 large head red cabbage (about 3 pounds, cored and thinly sliced) or 2 small
head red cabbage
( about 3 pounds, cored and thinly sliced)
granny smith apple, cored and cut into bite size pieces
2 -3 cups
low sodium chicken broth
red wine vinegar
fresh ground black pepper
- Cook the bacon until crisp, over medium heat in a large Dutch, that has a lid, about 4 minutes.
- Add the onions, cinnamon, bay leaves, and 1 teaspoon of the salt.
- Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender, about 8 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, add the cabbage and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 8 minutes.
- Add the apple, broth, vinegar, sugar, the remaining salt, and pepper, and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender, about 1 hour.
- Uncover; bring to a boil, and cook, stirring, until the liquid has reduced to a sauce-like consistency, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve.