shrimp, peeled and deveined- the larger the better
egg whites, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cups
unsweetened dried shredded coconut
2 1/2 cups peanut oil (for frying) or 2 1/2 cups
( for frying)
Sweet Soy and Chili Dipping Sauce
dried red chili pepper
garlic clove, chopped
fresh ginger, grated
fresh lime juice
- Wash and dry the shrimp on paper towels.
- Put cornstarch, egg whites and coconut into three separate bowls.
- Dip shrimp into the cornstarch.
- Shake off the excess.
- Dip into the egg white.
- Dip into the coconut, pressing into the shrimp.
- Heat oil and fry the shrimp until golden brown ( only a couple of minutes).
- Note: The shrimp can be coated 1 hour before frying and kept in the refrigerator. After frying, they can be kep warm in a preheated oven at 300 degrees for up toe 30 minutes.
- Place all of dipping sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender and puree until fairly smooth. The mixture may also be chopped and mixed by hand.