ripe tomatoes, cored and quartered
( about 12 oz.)
white onion, peeled, trimmed, and quartered
jalapeno chiles, 2 halved with ribs and seeds removed, 1 minced with ribs and seeds
long-grain white rice, rinsed
garlic cloves, minced
( about 4 tsp.)
low sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 teaspoons
minced fresh cilantro leaves
lime, cut into wedges for serving
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 350°F.
- Process the tomatoes and onion in a food processor until smooth and thoroughly pureed, about 15 seconds, scraping down the bowl if necessary.
- Transfer the mixture to a liquid measuring cup; you should have 2 cups. If necessary, spoon off and discard any excess.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed, oven-safe straight-sided saute pan or Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Drop 3 or 4 grains of rinsed rice in the oil; if they sizzle, the oil is ready.
- Add rice and cook, stirring frequently, until the rice is light golden and translucent, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium, stir in the garlic and seeded minced jalapenos, and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Stir in the pureed tomatoes and onion, chicken broth, tomato paste, and salt.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Cover, transfer to oven, and bake until the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 30-35 minutes. Stir well halfway through cooking time.
- Stir in cilantro and reserved minced jalapeno with ribs and seeds to taste.
- Serve immediately.