egg white, largest size
( 125 ml)
cheddar cheese, grated, nice quality
mustard, any type
fish fillets, fresh
( enough for 4 portions, 1 kg)
( 20 ml)
( or use 1 tblsp fresh, or any other herb)
( very soft or melted, 60 ml)
- Before you start cooking the fish, mix the topping.
- Whisk the egg white until stiff.
- Mix the mayonnaise, cheese and mustard, and fold in the stiffly whisked egg white.
- To cook the fish, use any one of two methods:.
- Lightly flour the fish fillets, and fry in a skillet in oil over high heat for a couple of minutes per side -- rather underdone than overdone, as it will keep on cooking with this method.
- OR sprinkle lemon juice over the fillets, and brush 1 tablespoon butter over each one.
- Dust the fish fillets with a mixture of salt, flour and chopped herbs.
- Grill in your oven under the grilling element until top of fillets turn white: only a few minutes. Turn carefully, give it another minute, and remove. Do not overcook, which is death to fish!
- Remove dish from oven, spread the topping over the fish fillets, then put back under a (hot) oven grill, and grill until golden brown. This happens very quickly, so keep watching it!
- This makes 4 servings, with buttered baby potatoes, a bright vegetable, salad, and chilled wine!
- **If the fish sounds too much for 4 people, keep in mind that fish and all seafood shrink in cooking.