2 lbs ripe summer tomatoes or 2 lbs
plum tomatoes, cut in 1/2 inch thick slices
fresh ground pepper
1 (9 inch) frozen pie crusts (not deep dish) or 1 (9 inch)
flaky pie crusts
1 1/4 cups grated parrano cheese or 1 1/4 cups
sharp white cheddar cheese
basil leaves, thinly sliced, plus more for garnishing
grated parmesan cheese, preferably parmigiano-reggiano
- Preheat the oven to 350 Degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and brush with olive oil.
- Place teh tomatoes on the baking sheet, brush with the olive oil, and season with the kosher salt and pepper to taste. Roast until the tomatoes are slightly dehydreated but not completely dry, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. (Plum tomatoes take about 1 hour. Peak of season summer tomatoes take about 1 1/2 hours).
- If using a homemade piecrust, bake it blind as directed. If using a frozen pie shell, prebake it according to the package directions. While the crus is still warm, sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the Parrano cheese.
- Adjust the oven to 400 degrees F. Layer half of the tomatoes on top of the cheese and sprinkle with half of the basil. Layer the remaining tomatoes on top and sprinkle with the remaining basil.
- Combine the oregano, Parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, and pepper to taste in a small bowl. Spoon the mixture on top of the tomatoes. Top with the remaining 3/4 cup parrano cheese. Place the pie on the prepared baking sheet and bake until the cheese is lightly browned, 20 to 30 minutes. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature. Garnish with sliced basil before serving.