1 (2 -3 lb)
butternut squash, peeled and seeded
parmesan cheese, grated
2 ounces pecans or 2 ounces
walnuts, roughly chopped
fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- Cut the peeled and seeded butternut squash into 1" cubes or chunks and place them in to a well buttered gratin dish. Season the butternut squash generously with black pepper and a little salt.
- Mix the grated parmesan cheese with the fresh bread crumbs, nuts and chopped thyme and then sprinkle over the top of the butternut squash.
- Dot the butter all over the cheese and nut topping.
- Bake it in a pre-heated oven, 200C/400F/Gas 6, for about 35 to 45 minutes, until the butternut squash is soft and the topping is golden brown.
- Serves 2 as a main course and 4 as a vegetable accompaniment.
- Serve piping hot with crusty bread and salad, if serving as a main course.