eggs, at room temperature
gruyere cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a medium saucepan, add 2 inched of salted water; bring to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Drain and rinse with cold water, then pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut the spears crosswise into thirds.
- In a medium cast-iron skillet, add the butter.
- Place the skillet in the oven to melt the butter.
- In a medium bowl, microwave the milk on high for 30 seconds.
- Whisk in the eggs, then the flour, salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Add the asparagus pieces to the hot cast-iron skillet and pour the batter on top.
- Sprinkle with half of the cheese and bake until puffed and golden-brown, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Top with the remaining cheese.