smoked bacon, cut into small pieces
salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
- Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl, rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the egg-yolk and sufficient iced water to bind the ingredients.
- Knead the dough lightly, and then chill in the refrigerator for thirty minutes. (I always cover the pastry with clingwrap).
- While pastry is 'resting',
- Melt half the butter in a frying pan and cook the bacon pieces gently until lightly coloured.
- Put the cream and eggs in a bowl and whisk together. Add the grated nutmeg and seasoning.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line a buttered 23cm/9 inch loose-bottomed flan tin. Prick the base of the flan with a fork.
- Sprinkle the cooked bacon pieces over the base of the pastry case and dot with the remaining butter.
- Pour in the cream and egg mixture.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6 for 30 minutes, or until set and golden brown.