6 1/2 ounces
whole wheat flour
2 1/4 teaspoons
1 1/8 cups
1 1/2 ounces
ground toasted almonds
- In mixer bowl, stir together 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup whole wheat flour, salt and yeast. Add water; mix at low speed with paddle for 2 minutes. Add remaining whole wheat flour; mix at medium speed until blended. Add remaining all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until soft dough forms. (You may not need to add all the all-purpose flour; dough should be soft but not sticky.).
- With dough hook, knead dough at medium speed for about 8 minutes or until elastic. Form dough into ball and place in lightly oiled bowl, turning to coat. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk.
- Remove plastic; punch down dough with your fist. Cover and let rise 30 minutes more.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Divide dough into 6 pieces; form each piece into a ball. Cover with a towel and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Roll 1 piece of dough as thin as possible. With your hands, lift and stretch dough as thin as you can without tearing, rotating dough as you work, until round is about 8 inches in diameter. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon almonds, pressing them in gently. Repeat with remaining dough to make 6 rounds.
- Place rounds on baking sheets; bake for about 10 minutes or until brown in spots. Cool on rack.