4 -5 medium
( for cooking)
longhorn cheese or
cheddar cheese, grated
( as much as you want)
- Cook the potatoes in salted water until done.
- Mix together the flour, salt, baking powder, eggs and approximately 1/3 cup water (use enough water to make dough the right consistency for small drop dumplings).
- Drop the mixture into boiling salted water.
- Cook 15-20 minutes or until dumplings are done in the center.
- While they are cooking, saute 2 or 3 sliced onions in butter and grate Longhorn or cheddar cheese.
- When potatoes and dumplings are done, drain and mix together gently.
- Alternate a layer of potatoes and dumplings, and a layer of cheese, beginning and ending with potatoes and dumplings.
- Spread sauted onions and butter over top.
- Serve immediately.