3 1/2 cups
( or more)
1 3/4 cups
steel cut oats
dark brown sugar
( for brushing on griddle)
- Butter (or use non-stick cooking spray) a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Bring 3 1/2 cups water to boil in heavy medium saucepan.
- Add oats and salt.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until oatmeal is tender but still firm to bite. Stir often and add more water by 1/4 cup fill if too thick. Cook about 20 - 30 minutes.
- Add cream, maple syrup, sugar and vanilla; stir until mixture thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Spread oatmeal in prepared pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill until firm, at least 4 hours and up to 24. (Keep chilled until ready to griddle).
- Cut chilled oatmeal into squares or triangles.
- Heat griddle or heavy nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Brush griddle with butter.
- Cook oatcakes until golden brown and heated through, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Divide oatcakes among plates and top with your choice of toppings (maple syrup, berries or yogurt).