masa corn flour
2 1/2 cups
( fresh or thawed frozen will work)
1 1/2 cups
( mexican cheese is better, reserve about half for filling)
( fresh roasted skinless peppers work too)
tomatoes, deseeded, pealed and sliced
( can immerse in boiling water for 20 seconds, and then ice water to loosen skins)
parchment paper or
- In a food processor blend corn and cheese until corn is in nearly a meal consistency.
- Add butter, Masa flour, salt, sugar, pepper and baking powder and process until the mixture is loosely mixed.
- Add broth and mix until just smooth.
- Place about 2 tbsp of mixture into soaked corn husk or parchment paper.
- Fill with some cheese, slices of roasted chili pepper and tomatoes.
- Close parchment paper or corn husk around filling, trying to cover filling with Masa flour mixture. If you have trouble closing or have too much filling try using less in your subsequent tamales.
- Roll wrapper closed, roll and fold over ends and set aside.
- Once they're done they can be refrigerated or frozen, or placed immediately in steaming tray above boiling water for about 30 minutes, or until Masa flour mixture is set.