garlic cloves, unpeeled
( for drizzling)
basil leaves, fresh minced
( 3/4 stick)
portabella mushroom, stems trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch slices
( about 5 large)
bread, halved horizontally
( pain rustique, ciabatta or facaccia)
parmesan cheese, freshly grated
tomato, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place garlic in small ovenproof dish and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover tightly with foil and roast until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Cool, peel and mash garlic.
- Mix mayonnaise, basil, 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar and mashed roasted garlic in small bowl. Do ahead Can be made1 day ahead. Cover and chill.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and toss to coat.
- Drizzle remaining 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar over and cook until tender, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. This step can be made 2 hours ahead of time. Let stand at room temperature.
- Rewarm over low heat before continuing.
- Preheat broiler.
- Spread remaining 2 tablespoons butter over cut sides of bread.
- Broil bread, buttered side up, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Watch closelyto prevent burning.
- Spread desired amount of garlic-basil mayonnaise over toasted sides of bread.
- Arrange mushrooms in even layer over bottom half of bread.
- Springles Parmesan cheese over.
- Arrange tomato slices in single layer over cheese.
- Cover with top half of bread.
- Cut into 6 sandwiches and serve.