kosher salt, plus more to taste
fresh ground black pepper, plus more to taste
3 1/2 lbs
meaty beef short ribs, cut flanken style
garlic cloves, minced
good-quality beef stock
button mushroom, trimmed and thinly sliced
fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine the flour, slat, and pepper and dredge the short ribs. Heat half the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, then sear the beef on all sides until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove the beef and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until brown and fragrant, about 2 minutes more.
- Add the stock, scraping up any bits stuck to the pan. Return the beef to the pot. Bring to a boil. Cover pot and transfer to the oven. Cook until the beef is fork-tender, 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
- In the last 15 minutes of cooking, heat the remaining oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the mushroons and cook until golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Toss with the parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the ribs to serving dishes, place the pot over high heat, and reduce the cooking liquid until slightly thickened. Serve with the mushrooms and cooking liquid.