4 1/2 teaspoons
active dry yeast
2 2/3 cups
9 -10 cups
soft butter or
- Dissolve yeast in 3/4 cup warm water. Stir in 2 2/3 cups warm water, sugar, salt, shortening and 5 cups of the flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Mix in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up.
- Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 1 hour (dough is ready if impression remains).
- Punch dough down; divide in half.
- Roll each half into rectangle, 18 x 9 inches.
- Roll up, beginning at short side.
- With side of hand, press each end to seal.
- Fold ends under loaf.
- Place seam side down in greased loaf pan, 9 x 5 x 3 inches (or three 8.5 x 4.5 x 2 inch loaf pans).
- Brush loaves lightly with butter.
- Let rise until double, about 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 425.
- Place loaves on low rack so that top of pans are in center of oven.
- Pans should not touch each other or sides of oven.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until deep golden brown and loaves sound hollow when tapped.
- Remove from pans immediately.
- Brush loaves with soft butter; cool on wire rack.