1 1/3 cups
whole wheat flour
finely minced crystallized ginger
butter, chilled and finely diced
dried figs, very finely chopped or sliced
- Preheat the oven to 230 Celsius.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ground ginger together and place in a large bowl.
- Rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the crystallized ginger and figs then add the combined milk and water and mix gently but thoroughly until the dough comes together.
- Turn out the dough, adding a little flour if the dough is sticky. Knead very briefly until the dough is manageable - do not overmix.
- Flatten the dough to about 1 inch thickness then use a 2 to 2 1/4 cutter to cut out rounds.
- Place the cut rounds on a non-stick baking sheet then gather up any remaining scraps and knead briefly. Cut as many more rounds as possible then place these on the sheet.
- Brush the scones with a little milk then bake for 10-12 minutes until golden.
- Serve with butter, marmalade or jam.