( peeled and chopped)
baby portabella mushrooms
( wiped clean and thinly sliced)
extra lean ground beef
3 1/2 cups
1 1/2 lbs
sharp cheddar cheese
( coarsely shredded)
bow tie pasta
( or elbow macaroni)
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Place the farfalle (aka bow ties) into the pot, cook 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente, and drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly grease 14 x 11 1/2 x 2 1/4-inch baking dish (or two 8x8-inch pans) and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a very large heavy skillet over moderate heat 1 minute.
- Add onion and garlic. Stir-fry until limp, about 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and stir-fry until juices are released and evaporate, about 5 minutes.
- Add beef and cook and stir, breaking up clumps, until no longer red, about 5 minutes.
- Off heat, mix in tomato sauce and all but 1 cup cheese.
- Transfer to baking dish, add bow ties, and toss gently but thoroughly to mix.
- Scatter remaining 1 cup cheese on top.
- Bake, uncovered, until browned and bubbling, 35-40 minutes, and serve.