unbleached flour, plus more
flour, for rolling berries
unsalted butter, chilled and cut into chunks
( extra large or jumbo)
lemon, zest of, from one lemon
sugar, in the raw
( used on top)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar; mix in a large bowl. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or 2 forks. The butter pieces should be coated with flour and resemble crumbs. Add lemon zest.
- In another bowl, mix cream and egg; add to flour mixture. Mix just to incorporate, do not overwork the dough.
- Toss blueberries in flour, then fold into batter. Drop large tablespoons of batter on an ungreased cookie sheet lined with parchment. Sprinkle scones with sugar in the raw to coat tops.
- Bake for about 15 – 20 minutes until lightly browned. Serve hot or warm.
- (Enjoy! Can be warmed the next day in the microwave oven- 15-20 seconds, if there are any left!).