( whole leaves or torn in pieces)
extra virgin olive oil
French bread, cubed 1/2 inch pieces
2 -6 large
garlic cloves, peeled
fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon cider vinegar or 1 teaspoon
fresh ground black pepper
coarse sea salt
eggs, Coddled see how to coddle eggs below
grated parmesan cheese
parmesan cheese, shaved
- Bake bread cubes 8 min 325 degrees and then fry lightly in some of the olive oil and garlic, as needed. Toss until crispy and golden.
- Set aside to drain on paper towels.
- Crush the garlic cloves and salt into a paste in a large wooden salad bowl, using the back of a wooden salad serving spoon.
- Add the anchovies and do the same. Add the Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, lemon juice and pepper. Whisk in the remaining oil until thoroughly combined.
- Add the grated Parmesan cheese and whisk again until combined.
- Add the coddled eggs and whisk until blended toss.
- Add lettuce and toss until coated Top with shaved or shredded Parmesan cheese. Serve.
- * To Make Coddled Eggs: Put egg (in the shell) in saucepan of room temperature water. Bring water to a simmer and simmer 1 minute. Drain and cool egg immediately by running cool water over it. It will be soft and the white still runny.
- Adding the eggs is optional but oh so good.
- The volumes have ranges to play with your own palette.
- Reserve left over dressing as it will keep for weeks.