6 cups beef stock (rich) or 3 (10 1/2 ounce) cans
( with 2 cups water)
French bread, thickly sliced
parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a heavy pot over medium heat, brown the onions in the butter.
- Add the beef broth and bay leaf.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Pour the soup into an ovenproof casserole and cover with the bread slices.
- Sprinkle cheese over bread slices.
- Bake in preheated oven until the cheese has melted and is slightly browned.
- Serve immediately.