whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons
1 -1 1/4 cup
minced garlic cloves
fresh gingerroot, grated
- MIx flour and salt.
- Add oil and mix until flour is like corn meal. (I do this in my mixer with the dough hook).
- Add water to dough mixing well. This will be a fairly moist dough. Knead dough 5 to 10 minutes until dough is soft and velvety (or beat in mixer).
- Cover and let stand 15-20 minutes.
- Knead again for about 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Form into a long 1 1/2" diameter "rope".
- Cut into 1 1/2" slices. Form each slice into small "buns" and place on a floured board, covering with a damp cloth.
- When ready to fill and fry, flatten each piece to about 1/4" and then roll into a circular shape about 1/8" thick.
- Boil potatoes and mash.
- Saute diced carrots, minced onion, ginger root and garlic until tender and add to mashed potatoes.
- Add green peas and spices. Add salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to personal taste.
- Place 2 tbsp filling into above dough circle. Moisten edges with water. Fold in half and seal edges well using a fork.
- Store filled samosa's on an oiled cookie sheet and cover with a damp cloth until ready to fry.
- Heat 3 cups vegetable oil over high heat until a small piece of dough drops to bottom of pan and pops back up immediately. Reduce heat to medium high at this point.
- Fry samosa's 3to 5 minutes each, turning once to brown evenly, placing on paper towels until ready to serve.