russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
( about 3 3/4 lbs.)
yellow onion, chopped
( about 1 1/2 cups)
organic low sodium chicken broth
( 5 1/4 cups)
whole garlic clove, smashed with the back of your knife
1 1/4 teaspoons
fresh ground pepper
( can substitute whipping cream)
shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
( 4 oz.)
chopped fresh chives
( can substitute finely chopped scallions or green onions)
light sour cream
bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
additional shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a 5-quart slow-cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for six hours, or low for 8-10 hours--or, cook until potato is tender.
- Mash mixture until potatoes are coarsely chopped and soup is slightly thickened.
- Stir in half-n-half, cheese, and chives.
- In each individual bowl, top with a dallop of sour cream, if desired, and sprinkle with bacon and cheddar cheese before eating.