grated cheddar cheese
lemon, juice and zest of, rind finely grated
broccoli florets, cut into small, even pieces
sliced leg ham, cut into thick strips
gouda cheese, slices, cut into thick strips
eggs, lightly whisked
green shallots, chopped
salt, to taste
ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced).
- To make the pastry, place the flour and butter in the bowl of a food processor and process until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add the cheddar, lemon rind, 1 tbs of the lemon juice and the water. Process until the mixture just comes together. Add another tablespoon of lemon juice, if necessary. Turn pastry onto a bench and shape into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge for 20 minutes to chill.
- Roll out 3/4 of the pastry between 2 sheets of non-stick baking paper to a 38cm disc. Carefully place pastry into a 24cm springform pan and use your fingers to press into the base and sides. Re-wrap the remaining pastry and place in the freezer while making the filling.
- To make the filling, cook broccoli in a small saucepan of boiling water for 1-2 minutes or until tender crisp. Refresh under cold water and drain well. Arrange the broccoli, ham and cheese slices in layers over pastry. Combine the ricotta, eggs, milk, green shallots, salt and pepper in a medium bowl and mix well. Pour over the broccoli mixture. Remove pastry from freezer and grate coarsely over the filling.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 180°C (180°C fan-forced) and bake for a further 50-60 minutes or until the filling is set and pastry is golden.