dried pinto bean
1 (28 ounce) cans
diced tomatoes, with juice
green bell pepper, chopped
onions, coarsley chopped
garlic cloves, crushed
( 1 stick)
center cut beef chuck, trimmed of fat, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
pork shoulder, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
gebhardt chili powder
black pepper, to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons
- Cook dry beans according to package directions.
- Stir the tomatoes with juice into the cooked beans, and simmer 5 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and saute the bell pepper for 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, reduce the heat to low, and cook about 15 minutes until tender, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the garlic and parsley; add this mixture to the beans.
- Using the same skillet, melt the butter and saute the beef and pork, in two batches, if necessary, until browned. Drain.
- Add meat to the bean mixture along with the chili powder, salt, pepper to taste and cumin.
- Simmer mixture, covered, for about an hour.
- Uncover and cook to the desired consistency, about 5 minutes.
- The chili should not be too thick.
- Skim off excess fat and serve.