red potatoes, unpeeled and quartered
minced garlic clove
ground black pepper
fennel bulbs, about 2 lb
3 quarts chicken stock or 3 quarts
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, toss the potatoes with 1/4 cup olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, until cooked through.
- Saute the chopped onions and chopped fennel with 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large stockpot on medium heat until translucent, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the roasted potatoes (including scrapings from the pan) and the stock.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, until all the vegetables are very soft.
- Add the heavy cream and allow the soup to cook slightly.
- Using a stick blender, puree the soup in the pot (this can also be done in a regular blender, food processor, or food mill).
- Taste for salt and pepper.
- Reheat and serve hot.